July 31, 2009

hong kong finish


The Toile tends to fray so I'm finishing the edges of the fabric in a totally non-period manor. The Hong Kong finish. Aside from encasing the edges to protect them, it gives the finished seams the prettiest look. And it's easy too.

Start by laying 1 inch wide bias trim along the seam edge of the fabric, which is face up. Sew about 1/4 inch from the edge. (I have small seam allowances so this example is sewn at about half that distance.)


Fold back the bias and press, then fold it to the underside of the fabric and press again. Stitch down about 1/8 inch from the edge. (Again, mine is smaller.)


Done. 


I trimmed the bias allowance on the underside to 1/4 inch, but with wider seam allowances that wouldn't be necessary. Here's everything after the seams are sewn together and the allowances are pressed out.


Isn't that pretty? I love it. I'm going with the off-white thread by the way. I've never used this technique before and it does take a little extra time, but not much. And I think it will be worth it because when the stays are done they will look extra nice from the inside.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty!
    I can't remember how I found your blog, but I have been watching it for a few months now... the amazingly parallel nature of your stitching and folding has compelled me to comment!

    ReplyDelete